Saturday, September 29, 2012

Good weekend and boring week at the tables paying bills

After my last post I was going into the weekend a little bit on a bad streak.  Well the poker gods rewarded me for my patience and embracing my inner Minnesota Fats because I won big over the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).  On Saturday it was one of those days where everything falls into your lap.  I had a guy call all in with his AJ when I had AQ on an Ace high flop.  I had a player shove all in preflop against me with his 10 10 when I held KK.  And I had a player call all in against me when I had AK on a AK6 flop.  It was one of those days where I did nothing special really. All I did was play good cards and had other players paid me off.  As I have said before, the real skill in poker shows up when you are losing.  Minimizing losses, avoiding tilt, and staying the course and playing a solid game is hard to do when you haven't won a pot in a few hours or have had three straight losing sessions.  But if you can do that--if you can minimize your losses, manage your bankroll and stay in the game--those hands where people pay you off will come and more than make up for the losses.  Thankfully it came last weekend and I had great results.

This week has been a break even week.  I have had some tough beats and some dry spells.  I am pretty happy to have just had a so so week considering the cards I have been dealt.  Again, I am utilizing my skill this week to keep my losses small and make sure I am in the game and focused when the deck hits me again. I didn't play on Monday but here are my results for the week so far:

Tuesday:  -$32 (5 hours)
Wednesday: -$44 (3 hours)
Thursday: +$187 (5 hours)
Friday: -$122  (5 hours)

So as you can see it has been uneventful.  I call weeks like this "paying bills."  When you own or operate a business the point and goal is obviously to make money.  But you can't make money without costs.  You have to pay bills.  You have to pay taxes, you have to pay your employees, you have to pay rent, you have to pay for insurance etc. It is not all profits all the time and nothing but fun.  The same is true in poker.  Even if you are a winning player you have to pay the bills from time to time.  "The bills" are losing and break even sessons.  They are 18 hour periods at the table where you make no money.  I know how it works and I am use to it.  I paid some bills this week and I am ready to head to the tables for a seven to eight hour session today.

Seven to eight hour sessions are always more fun when there are football games to watch.  And today there are.  Last week I went 5-5 and here are my updated records for 2012 so far.

2012 Football:  19-26-1  - 8.8 units

I am still trying to get something positive going.  I hope this week is the week.  Last year it was around this time where my picks started to improve and I hit about 54% for the final 12-13 weeks or so.

Arizona -3
Virgina Tech -6.5
Western Kentucky +1
Oklahoma State +1.5
Kentucky +20
Georgia Tennessee 2nd half over 31 (half unit)
Bengals -1.5
Redskins +3

I also put a $20 bet down on the Ryder Cup the other day.  Go Red White and Blue!

Disciplined Degenerate

No comments:

Post a Comment