Monday, June 25, 2012

One of the best plays I have ever made at a poker table

The other day I played one of the best hands I have ever played in a $1-2 No Limit game.  Those who read my blog know that I am a pretty straightforward player.  I play solid cards and don't get out of line or crazy often.  That said I do bluff at times and will make a move if I feel it is the right play.  Recently I played a hand that shocked many at the table, and even myself.

The hand started with effective stacks of about $360.  I raised to $15 with JJ after several people limped in and I was in the big blind.  The button called me and we saw a flop heads up.  The player on the button is a player I have played with many times.  He is a tough player in that he is very creative and is hard to put on a range sometimes.  He mixes his play well.

The flop came A K 3 with two spades.  I led out for $30.  The button made it $100 to go after thinking for a few seconds.  This is a hand that nine and a half times out of ten I fold.  But I really felt like he was making a move on me.  In addition to the "feel" that I had I also had some thoughts running through my head that told me his bet did not make sense.  This player is fairly aggressive and not on the passive side.  I doubted that he would limp in preflop on the button with most hands containing an Ace.  He might limp with A3 but I felt he would even raise with 33.  I thought their was a small chance he had K3 but like I said I just felt that he was making a move.  He does mix up his game from time to time so his range is not confined to just a few hands.  I had to go with my gut.  I called the $70 and re-raised $120 more.  He thought for about 10 seconds and then went all in for about $90 more.  I stuck with my read (although I was beginning to wonder if I was wrong) and called.  I was hoping to see a flush draw only or maybe a gutshot.  My original read was more "dead on balls accurate" (tribute to the movie My Cousin Vinny) than I thought.  He had 98 high with no spade.  He was drawing dead to runner runner.  I collected the large pot and felt about as good as I have at a poker table.  He was shocked and could not believe the play I made.  But he was also very complimentary and said he was impressed.  I told him the same about his play.  We both knew the other was not real strong and both made courageous plays.  The difference was my starting hand was better.  If we had another $250 each and he could have raised more than the $90 maybe it would have worked for him.  This hand was the difference for me on the day and I booked a nice win after I was in an early hole in the session.  That is a hand I won't soon forget.

Basketball is over and it is time to refocus my sports betting on baseball.  Like basketball, this is my first year betting baseball on a serious note.

So far on the baseball season I am 16-18 and down 1.8 units.  I would love it if I can just hang around .500 for the summer and have a shot at grinding out some profit until football season begins.  Because once football begins it will get my "dead on balls" full attention!

Disciplined Degenerate

No comments:

Post a Comment